Google +1

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Creating a Home Office that Supports Your Success

Yesterday I posted "What Does Your Office Say About You" and received a comment asking for additional tips for people who have a home office that no one else sees. It's my pleasure to provide three tips for creating a home office that supports your success.

It is just as important, maybe even more so, to consciously establish an office that supports you in being successful in your business if you're working at home. Why? If you're a solopreneur, you're most likely alone a good part of your workday. So you've got to stay motivated, focused and energized and a powerful, harmonized, balanced, nurturing space can help you do that.
  • Claim Your Space. Some people I know who work at home have no designated "office space."  They are what I call "office gypsies" -- have lap top will travel. They may work at a kitchen table, in the living room or bedroom, or go to a coffee shop. If you're finding it hard to stay focused, you're easily distracted and not grounded, this could be a contributing factor. Stake a claim on a designated space for your work. I work individually with clients to review their office set up to make sure it functionally supports their work style and provides a good foundation from which they can be successful. I've even helped people who work in their garage create work spaces that support productivity and prosperity!
  • Surround yourself with only things that you love. If you work alone its important to stay motivated. Being at home it's easy to get distracted by chores, TV, or other at home temptations corporate folks don't face. Working in an environment that is inviting helps you stay motivated, focused and energized because you want to be there. Situate your desk so you have a view out the window, keep fresh flowers on your desk. Add personal touches like pillows in chairs and colors that make you feel calm.  Remember, what surrounds you either energizes you or drains you. You want your workspace to be uplifting so it can encourage your creativity! 
  • Place things in your office that represent the success you want to achieve. For example, maybe one of your goals is to be on the cover of a national magazine. Make up a mock magazine cover with your picture on the front and hang it on the wall to remind you of where you're headed.  (This is a lot easier to do in a home office than in a corporate office!)  If you want greater prosperity put something in your office that makes you feel rich. (In my work with individual clients we pick items that are most meaningful to them. I review their space in person or on-line to let them know where the objects should be placed so they support the goals they want to achieve. Aligning your space with your goals helps to remove hidden blocks to success and accelerates the achievement of your goals.)
I hope this additional information helps you create a space that is productive and empowering. Let me know if you have questions about creating your own peak performance environment by leaving a comment or emailing me directly at Linda@LindaHardenstein.com.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Linda, I like today's tips. I would rather have a designated space at home rather than moving my laptop from one space to another. As you've rightly stated, it could lead to some form of distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kifayat - thanks for your comment and I'm glad you see the value of a designated spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "office" is in the middle of the living room, surrounded by the family noise and distraction. Is does make it very hard to concentrate and leads to many nights with little sleep trying to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Carrie! I hope you can carve out some private space for your work or at least some blocks of quiet time for your most concentration-rich tasks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My home office is it's own room but it's a mess, and it drains my energy. And it makes me want to get my laptop and go to other rooms in my house or the coffee shop. I know this is a problem and when I get it to 100% I feel fab and can maintain it for awhile. But most of the time when I tackle it I get it to about 60% and then it quickly falls apart. I think I might need to hire someone to set with me while I get it to 100% and to be a gofer person. Just do what I tell them (filing, adding things to lists, etc) and bounce things off of and keep me engaged. Then maybe I need to rearrange a bit and get a comfy chair, so if I do want to relax I can work on my laptop with my feet up occaisionally, but no leave my office. Also I do respond to color and my office is oatmeal, which is not a good thing. But I can't even imagine trying to get it painted with the state that it is in right now, and having to deal with down time and with wires. Maybe instead of painting all of it. I'll start with the cleaning and then go for color in specific areas (closet door, window shades, one wall etc.) Okay thanks for letting me vent and inspiring me to think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandra - glad you got inspired and motivated! You're well on your way to thinking about how to do things differently! A personal organizer sounds like a great start for helping you get things put away so you can then concentrate on the other productivity and power boosting things you mentioned. If I can be of assistance to you feel free to contact me at (Linda@LindaHardenstein.com)

    ReplyDelete